There are many different types of experiences that could qualify as an internship. Different majors and employers may identify the opportunity by another name. All of the experiences listed below can provide a student with skills and understanding that enhance their academic efforts.
Before you even look for an internship, it's important for you to create a plan. Contact the Internship Coordinator for your major or make an appointment through CareerLaunch now to meet with a Career Center counselor. Plan an approach to your search that will result in an internship – one that allows you to develop knowledge and competencies within your field. Your plan should include the following activities:
- Update your résumé.
- Clean up your existing digital (online) dirt.
- Establish a digital presence that attracts employers.
- Identify specific employers or industries that interest you.
- Build a strong network that will connect you to your preferred employers.
- Develop your interviewing skills.
- Track your efforts.
The Career Center, UH-329, can help you. Other resources will include faculty and staff within your major, student clubs and organizations and other campus partners.